The following is a brief sketch of Fred's life, starting with some background information about his mom. The numbers shown are the ID codes from grandmaonline.org
Fred's Mum was Helena Fast (538403). She was born in Cottonwood County, Minnesota April 16, 1887. She was the oldest of the five children that lived to adulthood.
When she was 18, her parents passed away within two months of each other, leaving her and her brother John to take care of the farm.
Grandpa (Fred) was born January 7, 1907 in Carson, Cottonwood County, Minnesota when Helena (she was called Lena) was still 19. I spent something like $20 to get digital copies of a couple birth certificates including Grandpa's.
This record and the records Cheryl found indicate that Fred's biological father is a man named Jacob Vogt (56960). He was 55 years old, was married and appears to have had six living children, most of them were older than Lena.
On July 4, 1911, Lena (now 24) gave birth to Martha (1294106). Martha's father appears to have been Jacob B Friesen. If my research is correct, 35 year old Jacob (56780) was the husband of Lena's cousin Elisabeth (Loewen) Friesen (307869)
Martha's birth certificate says Bingham Lake on it - I wonder where that is in relation to Carson.
A year and a half later, Helena married John W Dueck (733750). January 5, 1913. When Dad was visiting in Manitoba in December 2022, Verna told him that a group of men went to the US to look for brides. John W was a successful participant in this venture.
John W was born in 1890 in Manitoba near? on? Lowe Farm
He moved with his parents to Saskatchewan in 1909 and homesteaded near Rush Lake.
Grandpa Fred was eleven during the Spanish Flu (1918). I believe it was Aunt Ruby that told me he delivered medicine on a horse during that time. He lost a friend during that pandemic.
Elsie 1913-1995
Justine 1915 - 1982
Albert 1919 - ??
Arthur 1920 - 1971
Otto 1923 - 1983
Dan 1924 - ??
John and Helena lost a daughter (I don't know when) and then moved to Lucky Lake in 1926 because they couldn't keep up with their mortgage in Rush Lake.
They also lost a son, I believe once they moved to Lucky Lake.
Hilda 1927 - ??
Elmer 1929 - ??
Dad tells me that Grandpa was often treated as 'less than' by his John W. siblings. I wonder if Martha felt the same way.
I only have memories of Uncle Dan and Uncle Emer. Dan worked on the farm when I was very little and Elmer would come for coffee every now and again, also when I was little.
Fred & Aganetha (Nettie) Pauls were married on April 12, 1931 in a double ceremony with Elsie (Fred's sister) and Jacob (Nettie's brother Jake). I asked Aunt Ruby how they met but she doesn't know.
Fred & Nettie had six children. If Grandma had miscarriages, it doesn't appear that any of her children ever knew of them.
Rudolf (Rudy) 1932 -
Ruby Myrtle 1934
Laura Annie 1942
Pauline Helen 1947
Stephen (Steve) James 1950 -
Raymond (Ray) Lloyd 1953
Fred & Nettie farmed between Lucky Lake and Demaine until 1976 when they sold the farm to Raymond and moved into Lucky Lake.
Grandpa died March 23rd, 1981 at age 74 back when Lucky Lake had an actual hospital. I believe he had pneumonia? Grandma was 70. I have vague memories of seeing Grandpa in the hospital. I have no idea if they are real memories.
Comments
Post a Comment