Cousins Story 2
Ruby had a little toy kitchen cupboard. I think her Dad made it and I think it was painted a pale green. A kitchen cupboard in those days was a free-standing piece of furniture consisting of a set of deeper cupboards at the bottom with a workspace on top and a set of shallower cupboards above the workspace.
Ruby kept her toy dishes, pots and pans in this cupboard. One time, I remember, she brought it to Uncle Jake's at a gathering of our clan. None of the rest of us had such a toy and we all wanted to play with it, but Ruby sternly dictated who played with it and how long!
This little cupboard also played a role in our visit to the Duecks one Sunday afternoon. I was so looking forward to playing with Ruby's toys, especially the little cupboard, when I went to open it and take out the dishes and pans, Ruby said, "You can't play with that. I just did a big Saturday cleanup yesterday and I don't want it messed up again right away.". I remember us two just sitting around in her bedroom looking at each other with nothing to do til Aunt Nettie called us for Vaspa (afternoon lunch).
Ruby kept her toy dishes, pots and pans in this cupboard. One time, I remember, she brought it to Uncle Jake's at a gathering of our clan. None of the rest of us had such a toy and we all wanted to play with it, but Ruby sternly dictated who played with it and how long!
This little cupboard also played a role in our visit to the Duecks one Sunday afternoon. I was so looking forward to playing with Ruby's toys, especially the little cupboard, when I went to open it and take out the dishes and pans, Ruby said, "You can't play with that. I just did a big Saturday cleanup yesterday and I don't want it messed up again right away.". I remember us two just sitting around in her bedroom looking at each other with nothing to do til Aunt Nettie called us for Vaspa (afternoon lunch).
Comments
Post a Comment