Cousins Story 3

Ruby had a tiny bedroom of her own which I always envied.  She had a wardrobe and a dresser, and a single bed - all of which she shared with Laura after Laura was no longer a baby.  Ruby had a lot more toys than I did because our house of two rooms didn't have much space for 'extras'.  My toys were in a box under Mom & Dad's bed.  Ruby had several dolls while I usually had only one.  The doll I envied most was her "Nigger Baby" - a black doll that I absolutely adored with its big bright eyes in a coal-black face.  We knew nothing about politically correct terminology in those days, and I am very sure the term "Nigger Baby" never denigrated the coloured races in my eyes because that doll awakened in my a life-long desire to see and know people of other races and colours!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aunt Ruby's Story

Cousins Story 4

Cousins Story 13